Tuesday 19 June 2012

Getting Creative with Dies By SCACD

Hi folks!  For those of you that haven't already seen this post over on my personal blog - Quixotic Cards - I thought I'd share over here too.

In an earlier post on my personal blog “Embrace – Create – Redefine” – I show one way you could use the gorgeous Dies by SCACD – “Uncaged Bird” die, by colouring the diecut with Twinkling H20s or another colouring medium. This time I decided to play with my alcohol based markers and airbrush, and do things a little differently!


I used a mixture of ShinHan Touch Twin Markers and Copic Markers on this piece, and as I’ve experienced before, they worked beautifully together. I was totally engrossed in playing so unfortunately I forgot to note down all the colours I used, but if you have any questions I will try to answer them!
 

Firstly, I ran the die through my Cuttlebug with some white cardstock. I then took my chosen colouring paper – Make it Colour Blending Card – and with some repositionable glue, positioned the diecut on my paper. The repositionable glue is an essential here, as otherwise the airbrush will blow the diecut around, and using fingers or masking tape to hold it in place might obscure some of the detail (and leave you with blue fingers).


When happy with the positioning, I started airbrushing using Copic Markers in blue shades. I used two or three shades to build up colour.


When I removed the diecut, I had a beautifully detailed outline just begging to be coloured.


From this point I tackled it just as I would a stamped outline, working on a section at a time and building up colour and detail gradually. The image below shows the results as I progressed.


Pretty cool, isn’t it? A couple of the other dies in the new Dies by SCACD collection would also be perfect for this with all their beautiful detail. Give it a go, and share if you do – I’d love to see your creations.

~Elaine

1 comment:

  1. Stunning colouring Elaine! What a great tute - will try that one! Lovin' your nails too!

    Hey, where did you get your bags from?! Such a great idea to hold the markers!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...