Friday 28 January 2011

Tutorial - Colouring on Kraft paper with Prismacolor pencils

Hi Guys,

I thought for my Quixotic Paperie post today I would show you a simple tutorial on colouring on Kraft paper with prismacolor pencils.

Now be gentle with me.......this is my first time doing a  colouring tutorial on my blog! I also feel that it might be improved by doing a video rather than a series of pictures but bear with me and I might get brave enough to do that one day!!

So I used as my image the 'Little Dreamer' from The Greeting Farm available from Quixotic Paperie. You can also now buy your Kraft cardstock direct from Quixotic Paperie here.

Now colouring with pencils on Kraft gives a very vibrant colour and leaves a soft effect almost like using pastels. I rarely use Mineral Spirits for blending when working on Kraft. Instead I use my lightest pencil to do the blending work for me. I will explain as I go along!
 Step 1:
Stamp your image onto Kraft paper/card stock.  I like to begin with colouring with my lightest colour pencil. That is simply my preference. I feel that more colour can always be added....but it is much harder to take it away!  I am risk averse...so I start with the colour that is least likely to go wrong! So for this image I started with 'Beige' and coloured where I thought the highlights in her hair would land. In this instance I chose my light source to be coming directly at the back of her hair...not from the side. Don't forget to add little highlights with the 'Beige' on her pig tails!
 Step 2:
I took the darkest brown colour for her hair 'Dark Umber' and then added where the deepest shadows would fall on her hair
 Step 3:
To blend the darkest and lightest browns I took a middle shade of brown to blend them both together. I used 'Light Umber'. I blended with linear strokes (rather than circular) to give the hair some texture.  I did not want it to appear totally smooth.
 Step 4:
Finally for the last step in colouring the hair I took the 'Black' pencil and added a small amount to the very darkest places of her hair, for example, the parting of her hair and where the pigtails begin.
 Step 5:
I wanted to give her some ground to sit on so I used 3 shades of 'Cool Grey' to achieve this. I started with the lightest 'Cool Grey'. I then added a smaller amount of 'Cool Grey 70%', then finally just under her bottom where she is sitting I added the darkest shade of  'Cool Grey 90%'.

 Step 6:
  We are now going to add the reds for the strawberry and her hair bow and her skirt. I picked out 3 shades again to work with ; Blush Pink, Scarlet Lake, Tuscan Red (shown in the corner of the photo).  Add your pink  (lightest shade) first to the areas that would be lightest, the centre of the strawberry, the tips of the hair bows and the sections of her skirt. Then add the Scarlet Lake and finally the Tuscan Red to the deepest shadows. Blend them all togther with your lightest shade: Blush Pink. Go back and add more shadows to the darkest areas if you feel it is necessary.

Step 7: Finally colour the reamining areas of the image with your 3 brown shades that we used for the hair : Beige, Light Umber and Dark Umber. Start with the lighest colour and add to the centre of the rucksack, then add the Dark Umber to the edges of the rucksack and finally blend them all together with your mid brown colour.

Thank you for bearing with me so far. I appreciate this is a lot of text to read. I hope the photos show clearly how I acheived each step of the image. If you have any questions please ask and I will attempt to answer them.

I have not had the time to make this image into a card...but as they say 'It will be coming to a blog near you soon!'

Thanks for your visit today!
Judy x

16 comments:

  1. Thank you for a super tutorial. I will definately have a go at this as soon as I find some kraft paper.
    Looks so good and your tutorial makes it look simple to to. THANK YOU

    Hugs, Mette

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is fab....I have been tempted to buy prisma pencils but wasn't sure how to use them...well that's my budget blown already this month.

    great tutorial and the hair is amazing!!

    Fi
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW fantastic colouring tutorial, very inspirational ...thanks for sharing

    xx Lizzy xx :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool technique! I am currently only learning to add color to stamps and am trying out my Water color Derwents at the moment. I really do enjoy reading all the different ways people color with pencils. I have not tried this way but .. I got some new digi's that I am dying to have a play with so will give this method a go. Thanks heap for sharing :) Will let you know how i go :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant tutorial Judy - the step by step photos make it very clear - thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning tutorial Judy. Your shading and blending is awesome. Cute image too :) Hugs, Densie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Judy I want to have a go now. Thanks for a brill tutorial...I'm away to get my prismas out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Judy

    Thanks a bunch for this great tutorial!

    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, Judy! A brilliant tutorial - not at all too long! I can't wait to see the card you make with her!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for the tutorial Judy Already tried this after I saw one of your craft cards a while bsck and its a lovely technique
    thanks
    Fi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for the great tutorial. I just started using color pencils and water color pencils and this really helps. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fantastic tutorial and your colouring is just amazing! I would love to have Prismacolor Pencils and will probably buy some soon:-), then I will definitely come back to your tutorial! Thank you so much for sharing! Hugs Delphine xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. A great tutorial - I am so going to have to give this a go!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am brand new to this and it answered soooo many questions. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not great at colouring or blending, so this tutorial is super and makes it all look so easy! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great tutorial, you are good at this, it is brilliant,
    Carole S. :)XXX

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...